Support Federal Bill on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking
Virginia has made leaps and bounds this year legislatively on a state level, and now we need your support on a federal level. Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) are major supporters of legislation against minor sex trafficking and are reintroducing a bill that will establish a grant program to support victims. Please call your senators today in support of S.596, Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking Deterrence & Victim Support Act. Below you will find facts about the bill provide by Shared Hope International.
- Status: Referred to Senate Judiciary Committee (effective 3/18/2011)
- It will provide $2m to $2.5m a year in funding to six state and local pilot projects to serve and shelter child victims of sex trafficking.
- Applying entities must have a multidisciplinary, collaborative plan to combat the sex trafficking of minors.
- 67% of funds must be used for direct services and shelter for victims.
- Funds can be used to increase law enforcement efforts to combat the sex trafficking of children.
- This is a bipartisan bill.
- The legislation is sponsored by Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Senator John Cornyn (R-TX).